Antrim fire damages cape
ANTRIM — An old cape received severe smoke and water damage Thursday in a blaze that firefighters fought for about three hours.
Firefighters responded to 23 Elm Ave. around noon on Thursday after a passerby reported seeing smoke coming from the house, said Antrim Fire Captain Jay Hennessy.
The occupants, a father and a daughter, were not at home, Hennessey said.
Firefighters forced entry into the home and began fighting the heavy fire inside. A woodstove in the section of the home is where the fire appeared to have originated, he said.
Hennessey described the home as a 1700s cape-style home with a center chimney.
“It was older construction, so it was a harder fire to fight,” Hennessey said.
Around 3 p.m. firefighters had the fire under control. They cleared the scene around 4 p.m.
“There was smoke and water damage, but it’s still standing,” he said. “They won’t be able to move back. It’s not livable. … All of the windows were taken out due to the fire conditions.”
Several neighboring fire departments responded to assist with the second-alarm fire, Hennessey said, including Peterborough, Stoddard, Hancock, Hillsborough, Francestown, Dublin, Deering and Bennington.
No one was injured, Hennessey said.