Belmont students consider dropping 'offensive' mascot
The Belmont High School Red Raiders logo (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
NH school nicknames with Native American connotationsNative American nicknames in NH
Belmont: Red Raiders
Colebrook Academy: Mohawks
Spaulding: Red Raiders
Source: NH Interscholastic Athletic Association 2013-14 Handbook
Students and teachers at Belmont High in the school's hallways on Monday said some students want to drop the word "red" from Red Raiders.
Superintendent Maria Dreyer said the issue has been brought up twice before. About 12 years ago, the school debated changing the name, but settled instead on changing the logo, replacing a Native American face with "more of a contemporary face, a figure of a face."
"It should be a very interesting discussion; these are very thoughtful and active students," Dreyer said.
Dreyer said Belmont High School students, alumni, and teachers are not being purposely disrespectful to Native Americans.
Brett Sottaks, a member of the Belmont High Class of 1988 and the coach of the school's baseball team from 1999-2010, said the founders of the school named the mascot with complete respect to local American Indians.
"I'm proud to be a Red Raider," he said. "I am completely against a name change."
Marc Forgione Sr. is a board member of Friends of Belmont Football, an organization devoted to finding a place for student athletes attending Belmont High School to play football. He agrees with Sottaks.
"Being from Laconia, my opinion is that it's ridiculous to be offended by something that's meant to honor the local heritage, whether it's a 'Red Raider' or a 'Sachem.' We should be focusing on bigger issues, like getting a football team in Belmont," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New NHIA president painting a picture of expansion - 0
- Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president - 0
- Students prepare to set sail at Tri-City Christian Academy - 0
- Local teacher makes trip to arctic - 0
- Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated - 7
- Scholar of the Month: Plymouth junior operates on 'full-sprint theory' - 0
- Software upgrade delays grades - 0
- Derry School Board to hold forum on Facility Needs Study - 0
- Londonderry High forms team to get help for teens struggling with depression - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.