UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent
The New Hampshire State Police bomb squad was called to Manchester High School West Monday night after a teacher became concerned about two plastic containers of a highly flammable solvent.
District Fire Chief Jim Michael of the Manchester Fire Department said the teacher noticed the containers appeared to be partially collapsed.
The teacher did not notice anything leaking from the bottles of cyclohexene, but alerted the principal around 6:30 p.m.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health classifies the chemical with its second-highest rating for flammable or combustible liquids.
New Hampshire State Trooper Lawrence Lundt said two bomb squad technicians were in the school trying to confirm the chemical they were dealing with and then would decide how best to remove it.
“We can’t just march in and dispose of something hastily,” Lundt said.
Around 8 p.m., the bottles had been placed in protective carriers and taken away to be destroyed, Michael said.