Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Salem cop indicted for assault of pursuit suspect
Joseph Freda, 33, of Salem, is facing two counts of simple assault by an on-duty law enforcement officer for allegedly striking Thomas Templeton in the head with a flashlight on Oct. 6, according to state prosecutors.
A grand jury returned the indictments against Freda in Rockingham County Superior Court.
The indictments come just days after Templeton, 40, of York, Maine, pleaded guilty to reckless conduct and a misdemeanor resisting arrest charge.
Prosecutors say the assault happened moments after a state trooper and Windham police sergeant had arrested Templeton after a high-speed pursuit.
Templeton drove along Veterans Memorial Parkway in Salem in the opposite lane, and later onto Main Street where he was apprehended in a wooded area near the Massachusetts state line by state and local police, according to court records.
Freda was fired by the town on Jan. 21. He has pleaded not guilty and remains free on bail. He will be arraigned on the charges April 24 in superior court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ferguson protests enter third day; arrests in St. Louis - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 2
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 1
- Manchester man facing two aggravated felonious sexual assault charges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483