Home » News » Public Safety
Authorities test fox for rabies after it bit 5-year-old girl
This fox was euthanized after it bit a 5-year-old girl on the ankle at a local playground. It is being tested for rabies by New Hampshire Fish and Game, according to Derry police. (Courtesy)
The girl was bitten by the fox at Don Ball Park on Humphrey Road. She sustained minor injuries in the attack and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, Derry police Capt. Vern Thomas said Friday. Police were not releasing her name.
The incident was the second one in two days as police also received a report of an aggressive fox on Wednesday night on Schurman Drive, Thomas said. No injuries were reported in that incident in which a fox chased a 9-year-old boy as he was playing in his backyard at 9 Schurman Drive. At one point the fox knocked the boy to the ground, Thomas said. The boy's mother, who saw the incident, swung a shovel at the fox, causing it to run off and not return, according to police.
As he watched his 4-year-old daughter play at Don Ball Park on Friday afternoon, Rich Ring said he had brought her to the park Thursday night but saw that it was closed and left. After hearing the fox had been captured and euthanized, Ring said the incident was over and the park was safe again for his daughter and other children. So, he decided to bring his daughter back on Friday.
"It's happening no matter where you go," Ring said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket