Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired
"He had a deep love for the students, and he worked very hard to make a difference," school board member John Avard said.
Brennan left the job in June 2013. Later that summer, he was diagnosed with cancer, according to previous news accounts.
Brennan's accomplishments include the conversion of Manchester School of Technology to a four-year high school and the implementation of programs that encourage students to learn outside the classroom. Last spring, he overcame resistance from veteran teachers and reformed the district program for students with limited English skills.
"The employees were beginning to feel they were part of a team," Avard said. "He started the process of building the team."
"He never forgot the human element of what he was doing," Dick said.
Brennan was an assistant superintendent in Manchester from 1998 to 2000. He left Manchester to become superintendent in New London, where he maintained his home even after taking the Manchester job.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
- Do you agree or disagree with the decision of a Missouri grand jury to not indict a police officer in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager?
- Total Votes: 1371