Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired
"He had a deep love for the students, and he worked very hard to make a difference," school board member John Avard said.
Brennan left the job in June 2013. Later that summer, he was diagnosed with cancer, according to previous news accounts.
Brennan's accomplishments include the conversion of Manchester School of Technology to a four-year high school and the implementation of programs that encourage students to learn outside the classroom. Last spring, he overcame resistance from veteran teachers and reformed the district program for students with limited English skills.
"The employees were beginning to feel they were part of a team," Avard said. "He started the process of building the team."
"He never forgot the human element of what he was doing," Dick said.
Brennan was an assistant superintendent in Manchester from 1998 to 2000. He left Manchester to become superintendent in New London, where he maintained his home even after taking the Manchester job.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 2
- Manchester school chief's contract extended, with raise linked to teachers' - 1
- New superintendent named in Lebanon - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 0
- Derry making progress with efforts to honor POWS, MIAs - 0
- Lions Club blood drive draws on spirit of giving - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 0
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind