UPDATED: Gatsas brother says Manchester mayor recovering from bypass surgery
Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas thanks Greek Orthodox Bishop Metropolitan Methodios of Boston for presenting the inauguration Invocation at the Palace Theatre. (BOB LaPREE/UNION LEADER FILE)
The Union Leader has learned that the mayor was to undergo gall bladder surgery.
The mayor's spokesman declined to confirm or deny the nature of the medical procedure.
On Monday, Gatsas released a statement that said he conferred with his doctors last week and "it was determined that I should undergo a medical procedure" Tuesday morning.
Samantha Piatt, Gatsas' chief of staff, said no further details would be released on the procedure.
Piatt said the mayor expected to make a full recovery, and would continue working with aldermen during his convalescence. She said that "no further details" would be released out of respect for the mayor's privacy.
"I fully expect to be back at City Hall working on behalf of Queen City residents in the coming weeks," Gatsas said in his statement prior to the surgery. "In the meantime I will engage with city leaders while also attending to my health."
The Board of Mayor and Aldermen had posted a public hearing on the city budget proposed by Gatsas for 6 p.m. Tuesday night.
That meeting will be held as scheduled, as will a meeting of the Board of Mayor and Alderman meeting to follow.
Alderman-At-Large Dan O'Neil, the chairman of the board of aldermen, will preside over the meeting, as he will at any other meetings normally chaired by the mayor. School board meetings will be presided over by board vice chairman, at-large member Dave Wihby.
Gatsas was to give his "State of the City" address this morning before the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce at St. Anselm Institute of Politics, but that has been postponed. Other meetings where the mayor's attendance is critical will be postponed and rescheduled, according to his office staff.
Gatsas said in his statement that he is confident that, through a coordinated effort by city department heads and staff, city business will be attended to as usual.
In a prepared statement Monday from CMC, Gatsas said: "After conferring with my doctors last week, it was determined that I should undergo a medical procedure tomorrow morning."
The mayor's office had released Gatsas' public schedule on Friday indicating that he would be participating in a number of events this week, including the public hearing on the budget slated for 6 p.m. tonight at City Hall.
"I fully expect to be back at City Hall working on behalf of Queen City residents in the coming weeks," Gatsas said. "In the meantime I will engage with city leaders while also attending to my health."
READER COMMENTS: 5
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Efforts continue to make Zach Tompkins Field a reality in Hudson - 0
- Nashua's Carroll sets sights on 2015 mayoral run - 0
- Hudson selectmen chastise consultant over project - 0
- Despite damage to roads, FEMA is not an option in Winchester - 0
- Manchester waives right to buy Millyard building - 0
- Still no budget in Nashua - 0
- Derry councilors discuss putting limits on skyline - 0
- Conservation transaction could be postponed as Londonderry officials debate stewardship - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream