South School drama club lends funky touch to fairy tale
South School students, from left, Sage Matzker, Jillian Maguire, Jonathan Mok and Greg Lindquist rehearse a scene from “The Rockin' Tale of Snow White” Friday afternoon. (APRIL GUILMET PHOTO)
From the colorfully painted backdrops of woodland scenes and magic mirrors to the upbeat musical score, "The Rockin' Tale of Snow White" tells the familiar story in a way the Grimms never could have imagined.
Teacher Deanna Poulin, who has led the school's drama program for the past several years, said the show is school's first musical.
Animals sing and dance, Snow White's magic mirror has a penchant for rap music and as for these seven dwarves, well they're more likely to "doo-wop" than "hi-ho."
Fifth-grader Jillian Maguire plays the role of the evil queen and she said she's been having plenty of fun perfecting her character.
Playing the role of the queen's sinister pet bats are fourth-grader Sage Matzker and fifth-grader Jonathan Mok.
"We get to rap along with our buddy, the queen," said Matzker. "It's definitely not like the Disney movie."
Lindquist had two words to describe his first theater experience. "It's awesome," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Drug court gets funding for 3 more years - 0
- Nashua Senior Center members want budget woes discussed openly - 0
- Derry Town Council backs Conservation Commission in land use tax vote - 0
- Francestown Town Hall repairs nearing completion - 0
- Franklin eyes consolidating city, school offices - 0
- Fines proposed for alleged labor violations at Unity Elementary School construction site - 1
- Group has plans to spruce up downtown Nashua - 1
- More than $5 million in surplus may offset Nashua tax rate - 1
- Gas pipeline proposal prompts Hollis meeting - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change