Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke alarm saves three adults from Center Harbor fire
Fire Chief Leon Manville said town firefighters were joined by crews from eight Lakes Region fire departments in fighting a blaze that broke out at a single-family home shortly after 3 a.m. at 311 Daniel Webster Highway.
The fire started in an addition to the approximately 1,500-square-foot home, Manville said.
“It started in an addition that was up on posts, it had no foundation,” Manville said.
The cause of the fire is not known, he said, but the fire is not considered suspicious in nature.
When firefighters arrived at about 3:15 a.m., he said, there was “heavy fire in the addition.”
“We mounted an aggressive interior attack, and we were able to keep the fire from spreading too much. It was contained to the addition,” he said.
The three adults living in the home managed to get out, as one heard a smoke alarm and woke the others up. When firefighters arrived, the three occupants were outside the home, Manville said, watching the flames.
Inspectors were looking at the home Saturday morning to see if it is still inhabitable, he said. Meanwhile, the occupants of the home were being aided by the Red Cross, he said, with living arrangements.
Center Harbor firefighters were joined by fire departments from Meredith, Moultonboro, Holderness, Ashland, Laconia, New Hampton, Sanbornton and Gilford.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 10
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 9
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'