Home » News » Public Safety
Derry resident battles house fire with garden hose, extinguishers
Meadowbrook Road resident Joe Mote, 21, walks through the backyard in the aftermath of a fire at his family's house Friday. (Hunter McGee/Union Leader Correspondent)
"I walked out the door, and I saw the flower bed on fire and that caught the house on fire," Mote said of the blaze that began at around 2 p.m.
Mote said the flames were shooting up about 15 feet along the back of the house, at 1 Meadowbrook Road.
After being called, fire crews quickly arrived and were able to extinguish the fire. The blaze caused some extensive damage to the back of the two-story house.
Derry fire Capt. Scott Jackson credited Mote and the neighbor, whose name wasn't available, with helping battle the fire and keeping it from spreading. Jackson added that it was a difficult task with the windy conditions that pushed the blaze toward the house.
"It was blowing the wrong way, toward the house," Jackson said, adding "He's lucky."
As Jackson spoke fire crews moved around the house to ensure the fire was extinguished. Sections of insulation and charred debris were strewn on the ground.
Mote said his sister was inside the house at the time with his young son. She was able to leave safely with the child, he said.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation, said Derry Battalion Chief Michael Gagnon.
It was a busy day for Gagnon and other Derry firefighters who responded earlier in the afternoon to a fire at Alexander Carr Playground. No one was injured in that blaze; fire officials say they believe the fire was intentionally set.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 3
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 3
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride