Home » News » Public Safety
Derry resident battles house fire with garden hose, extinguishers
Meadowbrook Road resident Joe Mote, 21, walks through the backyard in the aftermath of a fire at his family's house Friday. (Hunter McGee/Union Leader Correspondent)
"I walked out the door, and I saw the flower bed on fire and that caught the house on fire," Mote said of the blaze that began at around 2 p.m.
Mote said the flames were shooting up about 15 feet along the back of the house, at 1 Meadowbrook Road.
After being called, fire crews quickly arrived and were able to extinguish the fire. The blaze caused some extensive damage to the back of the two-story house.
Derry fire Capt. Scott Jackson credited Mote and the neighbor, whose name wasn't available, with helping battle the fire and keeping it from spreading. Jackson added that it was a difficult task with the windy conditions that pushed the blaze toward the house.
"It was blowing the wrong way, toward the house," Jackson said, adding "He's lucky."
As Jackson spoke fire crews moved around the house to ensure the fire was extinguished. Sections of insulation and charred debris were strewn on the ground.
Mote said his sister was inside the house at the time with his young son. She was able to leave safely with the child, he said.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation, said Derry Battalion Chief Michael Gagnon.
It was a busy day for Gagnon and other Derry firefighters who responded earlier in the afternoon to a fire at Alexander Carr Playground. No one was injured in that blaze; fire officials say they believe the fire was intentionally set.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 10
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 4
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 8
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Every vote counts: Here is the proof