Home » News » Public Safety
Derry resident battles house fire with garden hose, extinguishers
Meadowbrook Road resident Joe Mote, 21, walks through the backyard in the aftermath of a fire at his family's house Friday. (Hunter McGee/Union Leader Correspondent)
"I walked out the door, and I saw the flower bed on fire and that caught the house on fire," Mote said of the blaze that began at around 2 p.m.
Mote said the flames were shooting up about 15 feet along the back of the house, at 1 Meadowbrook Road.
After being called, fire crews quickly arrived and were able to extinguish the fire. The blaze caused some extensive damage to the back of the two-story house.
Derry fire Capt. Scott Jackson credited Mote and the neighbor, whose name wasn't available, with helping battle the fire and keeping it from spreading. Jackson added that it was a difficult task with the windy conditions that pushed the blaze toward the house.
"It was blowing the wrong way, toward the house," Jackson said, adding "He's lucky."
As Jackson spoke fire crews moved around the house to ensure the fire was extinguished. Sections of insulation and charred debris were strewn on the ground.
Mote said his sister was inside the house at the time with his young son. She was able to leave safely with the child, he said.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation, said Derry Battalion Chief Michael Gagnon.
It was a busy day for Gagnon and other Derry firefighters who responded earlier in the afternoon to a fire at Alexander Carr Playground. No one was injured in that blaze; fire officials say they believe the fire was intentionally set.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'