Judge suggests reinstatement possible for Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams
Rockingham County Attorney James Reams heads back to court Monday to challenge his suspension from office. (JAMES A. KIMBLE/FILE PHOTO)
Reams is heading back to Merrimack County Superior Court on Monday seeking reinstatement, which would allow him to finish out the remaining 9 months of his two-year term. He is challenging his suspension through a pair of lawsuits filed against the Attorney General and the Rockingham County Commissioners.
If McNamara maintains his view about Reams current legal standing, it could mark an abrupt reversal for the eight-term Republican who has been suspended from office since the night of Nov. 6.
But the order also laid out McNamara's thinking about the larger issue regarding Reams' suspension, setting off a flurry of legal filings by state prosecutors aiming to keep Reams from returning to his post.
Before McNamara's order reached the Attorney General's Office, state prosecutors had already filed arguments asserting why they believe Foster can keep Reams suspended in the wake of removal proceedings, according to Young.
McNamara said Reams could still possibly be kept out of office if the state sought an injunction.
"We believe that we will be able to show that there are no criminal charges and that Jim Reams is the duly elected county attorney in Rockingham County," Ramsdell said on Friday.
Reams, who is not seeking re-election, has denied any wrongdoing. He expects to file a response to the complaint seeking his removal by April 25.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads