Judge suggests reinstatement possible for Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams
Rockingham County Attorney James Reams heads back to court Monday to challenge his suspension from office. (JAMES A. KIMBLE/FILE PHOTO)
Reams is heading back to Merrimack County Superior Court on Monday seeking reinstatement, which would allow him to finish out the remaining 9 months of his two-year term. He is challenging his suspension through a pair of lawsuits filed against the Attorney General and the Rockingham County Commissioners.
If McNamara maintains his view about Reams current legal standing, it could mark an abrupt reversal for the eight-term Republican who has been suspended from office since the night of Nov. 6.
But the order also laid out McNamara's thinking about the larger issue regarding Reams' suspension, setting off a flurry of legal filings by state prosecutors aiming to keep Reams from returning to his post.
Before McNamara's order reached the Attorney General's Office, state prosecutors had already filed arguments asserting why they believe Foster can keep Reams suspended in the wake of removal proceedings, according to Young.
McNamara said Reams could still possibly be kept out of office if the state sought an injunction.
"We believe that we will be able to show that there are no criminal charges and that Jim Reams is the duly elected county attorney in Rockingham County," Ramsdell said on Friday.
Reams, who is not seeking re-election, has denied any wrongdoing. He expects to file a response to the complaint seeking his removal by April 25.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Be like Wenceslaus The king who gave of himself - 3
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- Slandering police: Racism in reverse - 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Details of Reams inquiry released