Home » News » Public Safety
Londonderry police not amused by April Fool's Day joke
LONDONDERRY — Police aren’t laughing at an April Fool’s Day prank they say a Londonderry woman played on her elderly father.
Shortly after 1 p.m. on April 1, police received a phone call from a distraught local man who told them his daughter had just called him from inside the Garden Lane Market Basket store and told him that “a man with a gun had just come in.”
“He was in an absolute panic,” Detective Christopher Olson said Thursday. “He was so shaken up he could hardly speak.”
Dispatchers immediately sent an entire shift of police officers to the store, but upon their arrival it became clear that something was amiss.
“The managers told us they had no idea what we were talking about,” Olson said.
Management later told police that no “suspicious men” had entered the store, to their knowledge.
In the meantime, the caller, who police did not identify, contacted police to tell them his daughter “had played an April Fool’s Day joke on him.”
“We’re not even sure if she went to Market Basket that day,” Olson said.
Attempts to contact the daughter, whom Olson described as a Londonderry resident in her early 40s, have so far been unsuccessful, but police are taking this April Fool’s Day prank very seriously.
However, police aren’t releasing the alleged prankster’s name until they hear her side of the story.
“We definitely want to talk to this woman,” he said. “She may be facing some charges once we determine what actually happened here.”
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings