Home » News » Public Safety
Londonderry police not amused by April Fool's Day joke
LONDONDERRY — Police aren’t laughing at an April Fool’s Day prank they say a Londonderry woman played on her elderly father.
Shortly after 1 p.m. on April 1, police received a phone call from a distraught local man who told them his daughter had just called him from inside the Garden Lane Market Basket store and told him that “a man with a gun had just come in.”
“He was in an absolute panic,” Detective Christopher Olson said Thursday. “He was so shaken up he could hardly speak.”
Dispatchers immediately sent an entire shift of police officers to the store, but upon their arrival it became clear that something was amiss.
“The managers told us they had no idea what we were talking about,” Olson said.
Management later told police that no “suspicious men” had entered the store, to their knowledge.
In the meantime, the caller, who police did not identify, contacted police to tell them his daughter “had played an April Fool’s Day joke on him.”
“We’re not even sure if she went to Market Basket that day,” Olson said.
Attempts to contact the daughter, whom Olson described as a Londonderry resident in her early 40s, have so far been unsuccessful, but police are taking this April Fool’s Day prank very seriously.
However, police aren’t releasing the alleged prankster’s name until they hear her side of the story.
“We definitely want to talk to this woman,” he said. “She may be facing some charges once we determine what actually happened here.”
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change