Home » News » Public Safety
Londonderry police not amused by April Fool's Day joke
LONDONDERRY — Police aren’t laughing at an April Fool’s Day prank they say a Londonderry woman played on her elderly father.
Shortly after 1 p.m. on April 1, police received a phone call from a distraught local man who told them his daughter had just called him from inside the Garden Lane Market Basket store and told him that “a man with a gun had just come in.”
“He was in an absolute panic,” Detective Christopher Olson said Thursday. “He was so shaken up he could hardly speak.”
Dispatchers immediately sent an entire shift of police officers to the store, but upon their arrival it became clear that something was amiss.
“The managers told us they had no idea what we were talking about,” Olson said.
Management later told police that no “suspicious men” had entered the store, to their knowledge.
In the meantime, the caller, who police did not identify, contacted police to tell them his daughter “had played an April Fool’s Day joke on him.”
“We’re not even sure if she went to Market Basket that day,” Olson said.
Attempts to contact the daughter, whom Olson described as a Londonderry resident in her early 40s, have so far been unsuccessful, but police are taking this April Fool’s Day prank very seriously.
However, police aren’t releasing the alleged prankster’s name until they hear her side of the story.
“We definitely want to talk to this woman,” he said. “She may be facing some charges once we determine what actually happened here.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 0
- Winning $100,000 lottery ticket sold in Laconia - 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 6
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 7
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by