Few back Manchester proposal to pay-as- you-throw
"I feel it's another tax you're forcing on us," resident Robert Olson said.
But opinions expressed at the session seemed to back up what some city aldermen have said — that constituents have a strongly negative reaction to the prospect of the city adopting pay-as-you-throw (PAYT).
At Thursday's session, just one person who spoke said he was in favor of pay-as-you-throw.
"We all know that the costs of these bags will go up every year, just like our taxes," Ouellette said. He also said he believed bags on curbs would result in more garbage strewn in the streets.
A number of communities in the state have adopted bag fee programs, including Concord and Dover. Concord switched to PAYT in 2009. City trash bags can be purchased at more than a dozen stores. A 15-gallon bag costs $1; a 30-gallon bag costs $2.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 73
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 57
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 59
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- Playing for a purpose Field Hockey Jamboree at Manchester Memorial - 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America