All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Fired UNH basketball staffer pleads not guilty to falsifying evidence charge

Union Leader Correspondent

April 01. 2014 8:13PM

BRENTWOOD - A former University of New Hampshire basketball staffer under investigation for allegedly photographing male basketball players while they were in the locker room pleaded not guilty to charges that he tried to hide his cellphone from Newmarket police.Scott Weitzell, 50, entered a plea and waived his arraignment in 10th Circuit Court Tuesday on charges of attempting to falsify physical evidence and resisting arrest. He remains free on $3,000 bail.

The charges arise from an investigation into whether Weitzell took photographs and video of players after a basketball game at the University of Vermont on Jan. 20.Weitzell, a former Newmarket youth coach, was a part-time director of operations at UNH's men's basketball. He was suspended on Feb. 21 and then fired four days later.

Newmarket police executed a search warrant at Weitzell's home at 75 Elm St. on Feb. 21 as part of the investigation. The search warrant allowed police to seize Weitzell's cellphone and other evidence.Investigators wanted to examine the phone to see whether it had been used to record images in the locker room assigned to UNH players during the UVM game.

Police have not said whether the phone was ever recovered.Weitzell allegedly concealed his cellphone from police 'while it was the subject of a search warrant and criminal investigation,' to purposely keep it out of the hands of police, according to a court complaint.Police also charged Weitzell with resisting arrest for allegedly refusing to place his hand behind his back when a detective tried to take him into custody during the search, court records say.

UNH athlete's complaintAn athlete first made a complaint about Weitzell to an unidentified staff person on Jan. 20, but UNH officials did not learn about the matter until a month later. UNH hired former state attorney general Michael Delaney to lead an investigation into the reporting delay.No charges have been filed by UNH police or by police at UVM.

The charge of falsifying physical evidence is a Class B felony, punishable by up to 3 to 7 years in state prison. The resisting arrest charge is punishable by up to a year in county

Courts Crime Sports Durham Newmarket


More Headlines