Washington fire destroys inside of house
The fire destroyed the inside of the house, said Washington Police Chief Steven Marshall Tuesday.
Marshall said he was first on the scene of 1480 South Main Street and saw smoke coming out of the windows, ridges and eaves of the home.
Marshall said firefighters were on scene within 10 minutes. It took that long because they were hampered by the town's weather-worn roads, he said.
It took fire crews another five minutes or so to battle the fire, he said. "There was no water source right at the house. They had to run a hose up the road."
The inside of the house was destroyed by the fire, however, and two family cats died in the blaze, he said.
"The son that was home started cooking lunch. He went out to work on his truck and forgot something he was cooking," Marshall said.
He lived in the home with his girlfriend, her three children and his son.
Hillsborough and Antrim fire crews responded to the call as well and Lempster firefighters covered the Washington fire station during the call.