Home » News » Politics » Primary Plus
Wake up call: As bears end hibernation, they'll wander in search of food
Granite Staters have been warned to take in their bird feeders or else bears, hungry after a long winter's nap, may drop by the house for a meal. (Courtesy file photo/ Joel Rhymer, New Hampshire Fish and Game)
He said the rate of bear/human conflicts that could occur this spring and summer is unknown and difficult to predict, however.
A single food reward will cause a bear to return and continue to search the area for food. Homeowners are urged to clean up any stray bird seed, secure all garbage in airtight containers, lock dumpsters if you use one, avoid putting meat or other food scraps in outdoor compost piles, never leave pet food dishes outside overnight, and clean and store outdoor grills after each use.
"Bears get into chicken pens — we really push the use of electric fences to protect those chickens. Chickens are on most wild animals' dinner menu. If you're going to raise chickens, it's important to protect them from predation," said Timmins, noting the increased popularity of homeowners raising their own chickens. He recommends against shooting bears caught at a chicken coop, an act that often leaves orphaned cubs.
In 2013, Kilhem, the state's only licensed bear rehabilitator, raised 27 orphaned cubs after their parents were killed for a variety of reasons including the harsh winter, lack of food, traffic accidents or being intentionally shot after they got into chicken coops.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speedway looks to attract more fans as NASCAR stars return to NH - 0
- Next to the fun park, a new seafood spot - 0
- A story to bring beer lovers pleasant dreams - 0
- Salem senior housing ordinance change proposed - 0
- New Boston students could be given option to attend Goffstown middle school - 0
- New Album 'WORLD ON FIRE' Released Today And Streaming On USA Today, appearances to follow - 0
- Whitefield artist's beadwork is a tribute to her Native American ancestry - 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
A story to bring beer lovers pleasant dreams
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof