Home » News » Public Safety
Driver cited after collision with state police cruiser
ENFIELD — A Canadian driver was cited for negligent driving after he struck a New Hampshire State Police cruiser that was slowing down early Monday morning on Interstate 89 North to investigate another crash involving a tractor-trailer.
Police said the crash happened just before 3:30 a.m. The trooper, whose blue lights were activated, had slowed and was pulling to the right as he approached the crash scene when the cruiser was hit.
Xuan Nguyen, 30, of Saint Laurent, Quebec, was driving a 2003 Ford Taurus behind the state police cruiser. The road was icy, the result of snow and freezing rain, and state police said Nguyen was going too fast and following too closely for conditions.
Nguyen applied his brakes but lost control on the wet and icy road, striking the driver's side of the cruiser and then rear-ending the tractor-trailer involved in the first crash.
No one was injured, according to state police. All three vehicles sustained minor damage and were driven from the scene.
Nguyen was issued a summons for negligent operation.
The northbound lanes of I-89 were closed for about 30 minutes because, state police said, drivers refused to slow down and drive at safe speeds given the road conditions which made it too dangerous for troopers and emergency personnel to work at the scene.
State police said there were numerous near-crashes as police investigated the collision.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police remove dogs, cats and pig from Derry home after report of strong odor - 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Holiday sales may recover with help of deep discounts - 0
- Wall Street has best 2-day gain since 2011 on Fed optimism - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 2
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs