Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Dions identified as homicide victims in fatal fire; search continues for their son
The New Hampshire Attorney General and Manchester police, in a news release issued Thursday morning, said the deputy chief medical examiner concluded from the autopsies that the deaths of Robert Dion, 71, and Constance Dion, 67, were homicides. Investigators, however, did not say how the couple died.
"Right at this point in time we are not releasing the cause of death because we need to protect necessary investigative information," said senior assistant attorney general Janice Rundles. She said she couldn't say when the cause of death would be released but surmised it would be when investigators no longer needed to keep it shielded.
She would not say if investigators determined when the couple died.
"We're definitely looking at all information about when the victims were last seen," Rundles said.
Their bodies were discovered Monday inside their fire-damaged home.
Police continue to search for their son, Matthew Dion, 38, who lived with them and who investigators are calling a "person of interest."
Fire and police investigators were still on the scene Thursday morning.
Attorney James A. Normand of Normand & Associates, who represents Roger Mitchell, a nephew of the Dions and the temporary administrator of their estates, issued a statement from the family in which they said they were saddened the Dions' deaths were confirmed and it is now a homicide investigation.
They described the Dions as "being delightful, happy individuals who rejoiced in their friendship with others." Mr. Dion was an avid postage stamp collector, a hobby he enjoyed from back in his youth, and retired as postmaster of the North Salem Post Office. For many years, he bowled in a Thursday night coed bowling league.
Mrs. Dion was an avid quilter and seamstress, often called on by family to help with various hem alterations and clothing mends.
In the prepared statement, the family said it understood police are seeking the Dion's son for questioning, but said they pass no judgement and hope Matthew Dion will speak with investigators in the near future.
They also encouraged friends and acquaintances of the Dions to call Normand or police with any information they may have regarding the Dions' activities in recent weeks, regardless of whether or not it seems important at the present time.
The police investigation into the fire and the homicides is ongoing.
"The autopsies took a bit longer than expected," she said.
"It's nerve-wracking," he said.
Mitchell, the Dions' nephew, said Wednesday night that authorities had not provided the family any new information, but that the family believed officials are being thorough with a complicated situation.
Mitchell said no family member has been contacted by Matthew Dion.
"It's really weird," he said. "If he didn't have anything to do with it, then I don't know why he wouldn't come forward. I don't understand it. I just don't understand it."
Trucks from the New Hampsire State Police Major Crimes Unit and the state Fire Marshal's Office remained at the house Wednesday night, along with three police cars.
Kevin McAllister, pastor of the neighboring Manchester Church of God, opened the church's doors to provide police and emergency responders with restroom facilities and a place to warm up. He said he saw investigators wearing white hazardous materials suits going in and out of the home throughout Wednesday.
McAllister, who was among those who called 911 to report Monday's fire, said his wife saw a car at the home, then noticed a few minutes later that it had left. Shortly after that, he said, the fire broke out. He said he didn't know until later that the home had been rocked by an explosion.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Matthew Dion or the described vehicle is urged to call 911, or Manchester police at (603) 668-8711.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
- Newport shooting victim in stable but critical condition - 0
- Nashua arrests 9 on drug warrants - 0
- Police: Nashua man in car targeted by gunfire was felon with gun - 0
- Man shot at in Nashua drive-by charged with unrelated possession of stolen gun - 0
- NH Supreme Court rules 4 teen killers entitled to sentencing hearings - 6
- Hampton woman who fatally struck pedestrian wants blood test thrown out of court - 0
- Man seeks to upend conviction in Deerfield home invasion case - 0
- Police say North Hampton man distributed child sex abuse images - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Lakes Region Casino for sale last two months; asking price $3.5 million, manager says - 0
- Hudson police warn of cars being broken into - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917