All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Manchester murder from 2012 to go to trial in December

Staff Report
March 27. 2014 8:14PM

Jesus Fernandez, 27, of Manchester was indicted in the murder of Daniel Langlois in December. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER File)

MANCHESTER — The second-degree murder trial of Jesus Fernandez, 27, accused of killing Daniel Langlois, 25, is scheduled for December, almost two years after the carpenter and part-time bouncer at the now-closed Club Realm on Amherst Street was shot in the back of the head while sitting in a car at Nashua and Jane streets on Dec. 27, 2012.

Defense attorney Justin Shepherd filed notice in Hillsborough County Superior Court North this month that Fernandez may claim he used "physical force in defense of a person."

Judge Kenneth Brown this week denied a motion by the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office seeking to bar Fernandez from using that defense, saying the evidence does not support the claim.

Shepherd's assertion is that members of Fernandez' family and friends were assaulted at Club Realm by Langlois and another bouncer, and that the bouncers were chasing the assault victims' vehicle through the streets of Manchester.

Fernandez had been summoned by his sister and brother to what became the shooting site. They called by cell phone from in their vehicle. The defense would say Fernandez believed that Langlois and his companion would get out of their vehicle and assault or kill Fernandez' family and friends. Langlois was in the driver's seat of a stopped vehicle when Fernandez is accused of firing a shot through the rear window, striking Langlois in the back of the head.

Fernandez is being held without bail on the second-degree murder charge. He was indicted on two charges of second-degree murder, one of recklessly causing Langlois' death and one of knowingly causing his death.

At the time of his death, Langlois was also working full-time as a carpenter for a firm installing doors on a new residence hall at the University of New Hampshire in Durham.

He and his girlfriend had a 3-year-old daughter and were expecting a son, who was born months after his father's death.

Crime, law and justice Manchester Top Section Stories


More Headlines

Police: Naked intruder choked dog, attacked officers