Thomas Sowell: Republicans and blacks
Yet there are issues where Republicans have a big advantage over Democrats — if they will use that advantage. But an advantage that you don't use might as well not exist.
Minimum wage laws are another government-created disaster for minority young people.
Many people today would be surprised to learn that there were once years when the unemployment rate for black 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds was under 10 percent. But their unemployment rates have not been under 20 percent in more than half a century. In some years, their unemployment rate has been over 40 percent.
Republicans have failed to explain why the minimum wage laws that Democrats support are counterproductive for blacks. Worse yet, during the 2012 election campaign Mitt Romney advocated indexing the minimum wage for inflation, which would not only guarantee its bad effects, but would put an end to discussing those bad effects.
But, if Republicans can reduce the 90 percent of the black vote that goes to Democrats to 80 percent, that can be enough to swing a couple of close Congressional elections — as a start.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University in Stanford, Calif. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua Airport divisiveness prompts request for liaison - 0
- Nashua aldermen to consider communication upgrades - 0
- Bronstein Park policy questioned by NHCLU official - 5
- Derry gets grant for new scrap metal recycling trailer - 0
- Goffstown CIP committee wraps up for year, sends work to planning board - 0
- Derry councilors narrow list for town administrator post - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Manchester mayor seeks to restrict use of park - 12
- Rockingham County attorney candidates talk leadership at forum - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
KSC field hockey first in coaches poll
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner