Wintry weather for now, but wait until the end of the week
The temperature was 17 degrees mid-morning in Manchester on Monday. More cold weather, and possibly snow, are in the forecast. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
According to Mike Kistner, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine, a spring nor'easter that forecasters feared might dump heavy, wet snow on the Granite State seems to be staying far enough offshore to spare most winter-weary folks another dance with the snow shovels.
Kistner said that for the nor'easter to become a major storm event, the system would have to shift 50 to 75 miles to the west, which is in the "realm of possibility," but not likely.
"This storm seems to be the last disturbance we're going to see for a while," he said. By the end of the week, temperatures start climbing again; highs should be well into the 40s and 50s in southern parts of the state by next week.
No snow is good snow for landscapers like Mark Arsenault of Green Monster Landscaping in Sanbornville. Though he makes some money by plowing in the winter, having snow on the ground going into April is not what he wants to see.
At this time last year, Arsenault's company had already begun construction on a beach project. This year, a similar project will have to wait.
Brian Boudreau, a manager at Dirt Doctors in Pembroke, said the landscaping supply company still has plenty of sand and salt available in case more snow falls, but the shipments of mulch the company sends to nurseries around New England are being held up by the weather.
The cold temperatures have been brutal for people in the industry, Boudreau said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Residents in western N.Y. call snow worst in memory - 0
- Slick commute in store for some NH motorists today - 1
- Windy weather whips across New Hampshire - 0
- Leaks fixed, visits resume at Goffstown women's prison - 0
- Storm brings heavy rain, flooding to southern NH - 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley