Home » Opinion » Editorials
Shaheen's hypocrisy: Pledges come and go with her
In New Hampshire, there is only one Pledge. It is taken by candidates for governor who truly believe that New Hampshire is different from other states in part because of its small government, kept small by the lack of a broadbased sales or income tax. Hence the Pledge to veto any state sales or income tax that should make it to the governor's desk.
Running against incumbent U.S. Sen. John Sununu in 2008, Shaheen was more than happy with all the money that third-party liberal groups across the country spent on the race. Now, with a multimillion dollar warchest of her own, Shaheen is suddenly asking for a new pledge.
Gall? Audacity? Chutzpah? Take your pick. The woman's hypocrisy is breathtaking.
Next thing you know, Shaheen will seek a pledge that candidates reside in New Hampshire for a decade before seeking to serve in elective office. Of course, most people from New Hampshire are from somewhere else (Shaheen included). They move here because they want to.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State Sen. David Boutin apologizes for lapse in judgment - 16
- New victim protections passed by Legislature celebrated - 0
- Gov. Hassan asks agency heads for conservative budgets - 2
- Hassan runs first ad as GOP claims more irregularities - 0
- Interim IT, NH tourism heads approved - 0
- Manchester lawyer urged to seek District 16 Senate seat - 0
- NH July revenues prompt spending warning - 0
- Gov. Hassan set to nominate acting IT, state tourism chiefs - 0
- Gov. Hassan to nominate acting IT, tourism chiefs - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist