Home » News » Public Safety
Goats, chickens perish in four-alarm Gilmanton blaze
Susan Lunt, at right in grey hooded sweatshirt, walks away from her fire-damaged home and the remains of her barn at 1765 Route 140 in Gilmanton Iron Works Sunday. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
As for the loss of her home, "there's just not a lot to say about it," she said, looking downward as she spoke.
"A passer-by saw it, and the person ran up to the door and told the homeowners their barn was on fire," he said.
"I called for a fourth alarm because of the heavy winds, the need for water and the need for manpower," he said.
"There was a very heavy volume of flames," he said. "The home is uninhabitable, and the barn burned to the ground."
Gilmanton firefighters were joined by firefighting and rescue crews from Alton, Barnstead, Belmont, Center Harbor, Chichester, Epsom, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Northwood, New Durham, Pittsfield, Tilton and Wolfeboro.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 10
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 8
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too