action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67

Home » News » Public Safety

March 22. 2014 11:42PM

Greasy rags in hot dryer ignite Valley Street jail fire; flames spread through dirty ductwork

MANCHESTER - Fire started by greasy rags left in a hot dryer and extended with the help of ductwork that had not been cleaned of an accumulation of lint cause $75,000 damage at the Hillsborough County Correctional Facility on Valley Street on Saturday night, fire officials said.
The fire broke out in a commercial dryer in the jail. District Fire Chief Al Poulin said the combination of grease-laden kitchen rags and the heat of the dryer cause the fire to begin. An accumulation of lint in the building's duct work allowed the fire to spread from the basement to the third floor, where the flames brough throught she seams of the duct work and ignited the roof.
In addition to the fire damage to the third floor and the basement, there was heavy water damage on the first and second floors. Poulin estimated the damage at $75,000.
One person was rescued from the area of the fire, but no injuries were reported..

Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
Sorry, no question available

 New Hampshire Business Directory



 New Hampshire Events Calendar


Upcoming Events