Removal process begins for Boscawen-Canterbury bridge
“There was a time when that bridge got a lot of use, back before the interstate came in,” said Hardy, Bowcawen’s land use coordinator.
It was built in 1907 and was heavily used in the first half of the last century, Hardy said. But in the mid-1960s, it was closed to traffic.
It’s in such bad shape that it can’t be saved, he said.
The state’s Division of Historical Resources has said the bridge is beyond rehabilitation and would require a complete replacement.
With the help of Underwood Engineers of Portsmouth, the towns are preparing to start the bidding process for removal of the bridge.
READER COMMENTS: 18
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Raising a pint for science - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Downtown, it's all in the restaurant family - 1
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 1
- City Matters: Little sleep for Vietnam vet - 3
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 10
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: 'Taps' is soundtrack of summer ceremony - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Central buddies play on - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser