Dr. Jeffrey Singer: Obamacare turns doctors into bureaucrats
This shift has been underway for decades. It began in the 1980s, when Medicare imposed price controls and a coding system on physicians who treated anyone over 65. The regulators believed that such standardization would lead to more accurate processing of Medicare claims.
It is easy to standardize treatment protocols. It is impossible to standardize individual patients.
Enter Obamacare. Because Medicare’s price controls ripple across the entire health care industry, any changes to its fiscal stability will affect nearly the entire medical profession. Yet in an attempt to keep Medicare fiscally stable (which it needs to be, with 10,000 Americans turning 65 every day), Obamacare sacrifices the patient by pushing doctors to the sidelines.
I joined the medical profession because I want to serve patients, not fill out forms. Thousands of others feel the same way I do.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone