Home » News » Public Safety
Fire ravages Cornish home
Firefighters responded to 300 Center Road at 12:31 p.m., Cornish Fire Chief Scott Reuthe said Monday night.
When firefighters arrived, they found “the side toward the road was completely engulfed in flames on the outside,” Reuthe said of the home.
Investigators from the state Fire Marshal’s Office spent three hours investigating the cause of the blaze.
Preliminary findings indicate an improperly disposed of cigarette at the front door, underneath the front deck, caused the fire, Reuthe said.
They were alerted to the blaze because of working smoke detectors in the house, and were able to get out safely, Reuthe said.
Along with first-alarm mutual aid responders Plainfield and Meriden, fire crews came from Claremont and Vermont, including Ascutney, West Windsor and Windsor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket