Roger Simon: Hillary is sick - of the media
She was appearing with Matt Lauer on NBC's "Today," the day after Bill Clinton had publicly stated: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."
In fact, it is starting already. In case you haven't heard, Hillary Clinton may have a secret terrible illness that will prevent her from running for President in 2016. Rush Limbaugh, The Daily Caller, Matt Drudge and Roger Stone, often described as a "self-admitted GOP hit man," have spread the rumor.
"@HillaryClinton not running for health reasons. Remember you heard it first from the #StoneZone."
Four days later, Limbaugh began a broadcast this way: "Whispers are persisting, whispers - there's a whisper campaign, folks - that Mrs. Clinton is sick, that she will not run for the presidency because she is sick."
"Do the Republicans have the gonads to do something like this?" Limbaugh asked. "Do the Republicans have the gonads to start a rumor that Mrs. Clinton is ill? It's Drudge's lead story there with a picture of Hillary looking like she's in great stress and distress. The headline is: 'Is She Sick?' That's all it takes, and people start wondering, 'What kind of sick?'"
The piece stated: "These ubiquitous rumors of her health have been fueled in part by the supermarket tabloids. The National Enquirer wrote in 2012 that Clinton had brain cancer, something a spokesman dismissed then as 'absolute nonsense.' In January of this year, the Globe claimed that Clinton secretly had a brain tumor."
Why not? In modern American journalism, if you haven't gone too far, you haven't gone far enough. If you don't post the story and get the clicks, someone else will. To step back from crossing the line is to admit that such a line exists.
To me, raking in that kind of dough is a sign of keen mental health.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads