Roger Simon: Hillary is sick - of the media
She was appearing with Matt Lauer on NBC's "Today," the day after Bill Clinton had publicly stated: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."
In fact, it is starting already. In case you haven't heard, Hillary Clinton may have a secret terrible illness that will prevent her from running for President in 2016. Rush Limbaugh, The Daily Caller, Matt Drudge and Roger Stone, often described as a "self-admitted GOP hit man," have spread the rumor.
"@HillaryClinton not running for health reasons. Remember you heard it first from the #StoneZone."
Four days later, Limbaugh began a broadcast this way: "Whispers are persisting, whispers - there's a whisper campaign, folks - that Mrs. Clinton is sick, that she will not run for the presidency because she is sick."
"Do the Republicans have the gonads to do something like this?" Limbaugh asked. "Do the Republicans have the gonads to start a rumor that Mrs. Clinton is ill? It's Drudge's lead story there with a picture of Hillary looking like she's in great stress and distress. The headline is: 'Is She Sick?' That's all it takes, and people start wondering, 'What kind of sick?'"
The piece stated: "These ubiquitous rumors of her health have been fueled in part by the supermarket tabloids. The National Enquirer wrote in 2012 that Clinton had brain cancer, something a spokesman dismissed then as 'absolute nonsense.' In January of this year, the Globe claimed that Clinton secretly had a brain tumor."
Why not? In modern American journalism, if you haven't gone too far, you haven't gone far enough. If you don't post the story and get the clicks, someone else will. To step back from crossing the line is to admit that such a line exists.
To me, raking in that kind of dough is a sign of keen mental health.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
- Veterans help build Nashua Habitat home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 19
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 6
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings