Home » News » Public Safety
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Manchester firefighter James Kelly of Hooksett was injured in a snowmobile crash last month in Auburn. (Courtesy Auburn Fire Department)
Aaron E. Brown, 37, of Dover died of injuries suffered in the crash about 1:15 a.m., according to Fish and Game.
Juneau said he hasn't seen a spike in crashes this winter.
He said the other fatal accidents happened:
. Jan. 28, in Pittsburg, during the day on a sanctioned trail. A Hudson woman died.
. Feb. 8, in Washington, during the day. A Dover man died.
Overall, there have been 45 reported snowmobile accidents this winter, resulting in 42 injuries.
The accident victims vary in age and include people visiting from outside the state.
The Washington fatality claimed the life of a 62-year-old Dover man while an 11-year-old girl was seriously injured in a South Acworth crash in January and had to be flown by helicopter to the hospital.
This month, state officials, in the wake of a "skimming" accident in Weirs Beach, warned snowmobile and ATV riders who like to ride their machines over pockets of open water on state lakes that they are breaking the law, and that they are risking their lives.
"We've had to pull bodies out of the water of people who thought they were just having some fun," said Sgt. Brad Morse, a Fish and Game conservation officer said.
Juneau had a quick tip: "We can't stress enough that helmets save lives."
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0