Home » News » Public Safety
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Manchester firefighter James Kelly of Hooksett was injured in a snowmobile crash last month in Auburn. (Courtesy Auburn Fire Department)
Aaron E. Brown, 37, of Dover died of injuries suffered in the crash about 1:15 a.m., according to Fish and Game.
Juneau said he hasn't seen a spike in crashes this winter.
He said the other fatal accidents happened:
. Jan. 28, in Pittsburg, during the day on a sanctioned trail. A Hudson woman died.
. Feb. 8, in Washington, during the day. A Dover man died.
Overall, there have been 45 reported snowmobile accidents this winter, resulting in 42 injuries.
The accident victims vary in age and include people visiting from outside the state.
The Washington fatality claimed the life of a 62-year-old Dover man while an 11-year-old girl was seriously injured in a South Acworth crash in January and had to be flown by helicopter to the hospital.
This month, state officials, in the wake of a "skimming" accident in Weirs Beach, warned snowmobile and ATV riders who like to ride their machines over pockets of open water on state lakes that they are breaking the law, and that they are risking their lives.
"We've had to pull bodies out of the water of people who thought they were just having some fun," said Sgt. Brad Morse, a Fish and Game conservation officer said.
Juneau had a quick tip: "We can't stress enough that helmets save lives."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test