Londonderry students rewarded with indoor 'snowball' fight
Clutching their homemade yarn “snowballs,” a group of Matthew Thornton Elementary School second-graders readied for an attack, dodgeball style, on their rival third-graders. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
So naturally when the staff at Matthew Thornton Elementary School began thinking up ways to reward some of their best-behaved students, they kept the snowy season in mind.
"We got creative," said reading specialist Karen Kearney, who used her crafts knowledge to teach children in each grade how to build indoor "snowballs," or pompoms, out of white yarn.
Instead, a classroom from each grade was chosen to take part in the "snowball" fight in the school cafeteria Friday afternoon, minus the hats, mittens and bone-chilling weather.
"Except nobody ever strikes out," he noted.
Much to their delight, the kids got to keep their non-melting "snowballs" when the indoor battle concluded, on the condition that they'd refrain from throwing them during the bus ride home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 0
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 49
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
- With SNHU merger on hold, search renewed for NHIA president - 0
- Interim president encouraging student growth at WMCC - 0
- Pinkerton superintendent tours school in hors- drawn carriage - 1
- Granite State Arts Academy in Derry ready to open its doors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate