Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again
MANCHESTER — A city woman, who was out on bail on felony reckless conduct and operating after suspension charges in connection with a fatal car crash last August, was arraigned Tuesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a felony charge of criminal liability to burglary.
Lacey Lane, 23, who said she is now living with her father at 96 Rockland Ave. and is working at a Dunkin’ Donuts, is accused of taking a co-defendant to a Dyson Street address Feb. 22 and standing by while her co-defendant assaulted a person there. Her co-defendant was not identified in court.
Police prosecutors sought $5,000 cash/surety bail for Lane, who was indicted by the December Hillsborough County Superior Court North Grand Jury on charges related to her allegedly driving into a flatbed construction trailer in a posted closed section of Wellington Road on Aug. 18, 2013, resulting in fatal injuries to her front-seat passenger, Joshua Shackelford.
Although she was initially also charged with drunken driving, her lawyer Tuesday said the grand jury did not indict her on that charge.
Judge John Emery set bail at $3,000 cash/surety and a probable cause hearing was set for March 24 on the criminal liability to burglary charge.
Says he’s not that stupid
Tyler Rogers, 26, of 68 Rimmon St., pleaded innocent Tuesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to misdemeanor charges of criminal threatening and theft by unauthorized taking. The charges allege he told a woman: “I’m going to kill you” and took personal items belonging to the woman, including a cell phone.
Rogers told Judge John Emery the woman has mental health issues. “I just got out of prison,” said Rogers. “I’m not going to threaten somebody.” He said he’s trying to get back on his feet and he’s not so stupid that he would do such a thing after just serving three years in prison.
The judge set bail at $1,000 cash/surety, with conditions barring contact with the alleged victim and barring Rogers from her residence. Trial was set for April 16.
Failed to appear last week
Tiffanie Ducharme, 22, of 479 Belmont St., pleaded innocent Tuesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to misdemeanor charges of prostitution and lewdness Monday on Kosciuszko Street and in a parking garage.
Police prosecutor Sgt. Stephen Reardon requested $3,000 cash/surety bail for Ducharme, noting she failed to appear for trial on the same two charges March 5. “She is displaying a pattern that is of concern to the state,” said Reardon.
Ducharme wanted personal recognizance bail, telling the judge: “I’m the mother of two young kids.” She said she thought all she had to do regarding the earlier charges was pay a fine. “I was unaware I had to speak to the judge again,” she said.
Judge John Emery said Ducharme must have a bad memory, because she failed to appear twice. He said the failure to appear fees will be addressed at her next hearing.
That is scheduled for April 16, when there will be trial on both sets of charges. Emery set bail on the new charges at the requested $3,000 cash/surety and continued bail on the earlier charges at the $1,000 cash/surety on the warrant issued after Ducharme failed to appear last week.
Additional charges filed
Police prosecutors Tuesday requested $3,000 cash/surety bail for Machar Mayom, 29, of 510 Hevey St., at his arraignment in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on new charges.
Police prosecutor Sgt. Stephen Reardon said Mayom was out on bail on an operating under the influence charge when arrested on new charges stemming from an incident Feb. 18 on Montgomery Street.
A conduct after an accident charge alleges Mayom was involved in an accident causing property damage and did not stop to report it and provide the necessary information. A false report of an accident charge alleges he told a police officer he was not involved in the accident.
Guilty of resisting arrest
Darius Weekly, 20, of 219 Notre Dame Ave., pleaded guilty Tuesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest that alleges he fled from a police officer seeking to question him in front of his residence.
Prosecutors Monday had filed a bail revocation motion after Weekly’s arrest on the resisting charge because he was out on bail at the time on felony charges of riot and second-degree assault in connection with a melee on Laurel Street March 2.
A bail revocation hearing was set for Tuesday, but a plea agreement on the resisting charge was reached by Weekly’s attorney and a city prosecutor, calling for a six-month sentence in the House of Corrections, all suspended for one year of good behavior. A charge of pedestrian in the roadway was nolle prossed.
Weekly also waived a probable cause hearing on the felony charges, which were bound over to the Hillsborough North Grand Jury, and his original bail of $1,000 cash/surety was continued.