Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday
Repeal supporters include the religious community, which has consistently pushed for doing away with the law, family members of some murder victims, and several former attorneys general and a judge who previously favored the penalty.
Cushing's father was shot and killed by an off-duty Hampton police officer in 1988.
Other attempts to repeal the state's capital murder statute have failed in either the House or the Senate.
The House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee for the first time backed repeal, on a 14-3 vote, with several longtime death penalty supporters - including Chairman Rep. Laura Pantelakos, D-Portsmouth, House Majority Leader Stephen Shurtleff, D-Concord, and Rep. Dennis Fields, R-Sanbornton - voting for repeal.
The biggest obstacle to repeal this year is the Senate. Supporters will need backing from more than one or two Republicans because one or two Democrats are expected to oppose the bill.
The Granite State's version of Medicaid expansion will be the subject of a public hearing Monday at 9:30 a.m. in Rooms 210-211 of the Legislative Office Building.
The new program is expected to begin July 1.
Casino Gambling: House Bill 1633, the work of the Gaming Regulatory Oversight Authority, is also on the House's calendar this week.
The House Ways and Means Committee, which has not embraced casino gambling over the past few years, voted to kill the bill, 13-11. However, that does not mean the bill is dead; instead, it will be decided on the House floor.
The vote in the House is expected to be as close as the vote in committee. The Senate has already approved a bill allowing two casinos and is waiting to see what the House does with HB 1633.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Banner year for victims' advocates - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Rainy day blues - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: State revenue picture still unclear until later this year - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Buffer zone ruling by U.S. Supreme Court fuels abortion feud - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Democrats and Republicans parties round out their next tickets in NH - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: NH legislative session winding to a close - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Saying goodbye - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: So many NH legislative bills get left at the roadside - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate