Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Putin's third term as president of Russia will not expire until May 2018, and he has not ruled out running for another six-year term after that. Besides, Putin has a record of staying in power no matter when his titles expire.
But jokes such as that are easy to make when you are just a candidate. Clinton went on to lose the Democratic nomination to Barack Obama, and she became his first secretary of state.
Again, we have a joke - probably the funniest and most controversial joke she ever told in public.
At a chilly early-morning rally in Davenport, Iowa, during the kickoff of her presidential campaign in 2007, Clinton was asked by a voter what qualifications she had to handle tough leaders from countries such as Iran and North Korea.
I was there, and my own impression, as well as that of every person I interviewed after the event, was that Hillary was making a rather droll comment about Bill. It was funny and delivered with expert comic timing.
Clinton responded that she was not joking at all, that she was merely repeating the question she had been asked.
Clinton reversed course. Now, she said, she had been joking. "I thought I was funny," Clinton said. "You know, you guys keep telling me to lighten up, be funny. I get a little funny, and now I'm being psychoanalyzed."
In my next column, I will talk about conservative plans to make sure she never gets that chance in 2016.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 3
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 66
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 15
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'