Home » News » Public Safety
Pittsfield pizza dough company already rebuilding after fire
A firefighter continues cleanup work at the scene of a four-alarm fire in Pittsfield on Thursday night. The fire destroyed a pizza dough company that has clients across the country. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
At the building on Barnstead Road, nearly 100 employees cover three shifts making pizza dough and American Flatbread pizzas ,which are sold by both grocery chains and mom-and-pop outfits throughout the country, said plant manager Brian Schneider.
It wasn't long before firefighters ran out of water from the hydrants and had to begin shuttling in water from a nearby river.
As firefighters worked through the night to contain the blaze and keep it from attacking the auto repair shop next door, their second-biggest challenge was the sub-zero temperatures.
One firefighter injured his arm when he slipped on the ice, but wasn't seriously hurt.
By morning, an excavator was brought in to shift the rubble from the building so firefighters could get at the flames under the wreckage.
Next door at Any Make Auto, LLC, owner Daryl Klitz said he wasn't thrilled that he couldn't open his shop on Friday, but he said he was grateful to firefighters for saving his building.
"Our focus is to get the company back up and running," he said. "But the most important thing is that nobody got hurt."
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem