Home » News » Public Safety
Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday
PORTSMOUTH -- A 600-foot oil tanker struck a pier on the Memorial Bridge before sunrise Friday, but engineers reported no structural damage.
The tanker "Seapride" was navigating down the Piscataqua River when it collided with one of the piers of the bridge, as it was raised to allow its passage, according to New Hampshire Department of Transportation.
U.S. Coast Guard continues to investigate the accident, which occurred around 5:20 a.m.
Fenders on the piers, which serve to protect the bridge, withstood the impact.
The Memorial Bridge operations were unaffected and the bridge remains open to vehicle traffic between Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigating after man stabbed in neck - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 0
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Rymes is ready to roll following Fred Fuller purchase - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection