Home » News » Public Safety
Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua
A Nashua police officer patrols Allds Street on Friday as motorists are detoured onto other roadways to allow crews to fix road damage caused by a water main break Thursday afternoon in downtown Nashua. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON/Union Leader Correspondent)
"The road was damaged so badly that it just can't simply be repaved," said Justin Kates, director of the city's Office of Emergency Management.
"It is a pretty sizable water main, and the water caused an unbelievable amount of damage. When I went out there to check it out, it looked like an earthquake had hit," he said Friday.
"It really took out the footing and undermined the roadway in the entire area," said Kates.
Pennichuck is coordinating the reconstruction of the roadway, and is working with a contractor to get Allds Street back in travel condition as soon as possible, said Kates. In addition, the city's engineers are helping with the plans for the roadway and sewer infrastructure improvements if necessary, he explained.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 3
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 3
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride