Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service
Those recognized served with distinction, with dedication to the city and the department, and often acted without regard for their own personal safety, Police Chief David Mara said.
Citing his expertise, work ethic and professionalism, Mara called Capano a great addition to the MPD command staff. "Anyone who's ever worked with him knows what I'm talking about," Mara said.
"He is what the officer of the year should be," said Mara, citing Dupont's work ethic, exemplary service and tenacity.
Mayor Ted Gatsas congratulated the medal recipients and the department, citing exemplary service, public safety and continued efforts to curb drug use in Manchester.
Four officers receiving a Life Saving Medal were honored for responding July 21, 2013, to a distraught man threatening to jump off the Bridge Street Bridge. The man, a heroin addict, had recently overdosed and been released from the hospital. Mara applauded the quick actions of Sgt. Chris Goodnow, Officer Andrew Fleming, Officer Ian Fleming and Officer Clifford Elston in saving the man and pulling him back from the edge.
Officer Tony Battistelli, Officer Fred Gillis and Officer Brian Karoul received the Meritorious Service Medal for apprehending a man wanted in an armed robbery on Dec. 4, 2013. The man had his hands in his pockets and, after a struggle, arresting officers found the man had an open knife in one pocket as well as several bags of heroin.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 3
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 24
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies