Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’
Samantha Goy of Nashua was one of two lifeguards at the Nashua YMCA who saved the life of Kugarany ‘Baba’ Sribalaharan (at right) this past December when she went into cardiac arrest while swimming laps. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON PHOTO)
But those fears were cast aside this past December when Goy, 18, realized a swimmer at the Nashua YMCA was in trouble. Goy, along with her fellow lifeguard Brenna Connolly, quickly stepped into action when a woman lost consciousness while swimming laps in the pool.
“My training just kicked in and instincts took over,” Goy said while attending an award ceremony Wednesday at Nashua High School South.
Hosted by American Medical Response, the award ceremony not only recognized Goy and Sribalaharan, but also honored more than 2,000 city high school students who participated in the first annual AMR CPR Challenge in December.
“You could potentially save someone’s life,” Stawasz told the crowd on Wednesday. “Congratulations to everybody.”
“This is such a valuable skill, and you should be commended for learning it,” agreed Dr. James Martin, medical director at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua.
“This is just the start of your training,” said Justin Kates, emergency management director for the city.
“You guys might be the people to call 911 and begin CPR during an emergency. Already you are more prepared,” he told the students.
Organizers of the CPR challenge are hoping to expand the program next year to include students from Manchester high schools as well, Stawasz said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 6
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's