Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment
MANCHESTER — Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze late Thursday morning in a third-floor apartment above the Good Still Pawn Shop on Kelley Street.
District Fire Chief Al Poulin said firefighters carried two hand lines up three flights of stairs to extinguish the fire that started in the living room of the third-floor apartment at 128 Kelley St.
Pawn shop employees noticed smoke coming from the apartment and called 911 at 11:47 a.m. The fire was under control 18 minutes later.
Poulin said the cause of the blaze, which heavily damaged the living room, remains under investigation.
He said the other three apartments in the building, as well as the pawn shop, suffered minor water damage. Once that is cleaned up, he said the tenants and employees will be allowed to return. The residents of the apartment that caught fire, however, will have to find some other place to live.
Poulin said the fire had the potential to be disastrous, given the location of the building in the heavily congested West Side neighborhood. However, he credited the early 911 call and four firefighters being on duty at the Amory Street station when the fire was reported.
He said the fourth man made the difference for firefighters in getting the hoses up three flights of stairs. Oftentimes, he said, the station is staffed with only three firefighters.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 10
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 2
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too