Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment
MANCHESTER — Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze late Thursday morning in a third-floor apartment above the Good Still Pawn Shop on Kelley Street.
District Fire Chief Al Poulin said firefighters carried two hand lines up three flights of stairs to extinguish the fire that started in the living room of the third-floor apartment at 128 Kelley St.
Pawn shop employees noticed smoke coming from the apartment and called 911 at 11:47 a.m. The fire was under control 18 minutes later.
Poulin said the cause of the blaze, which heavily damaged the living room, remains under investigation.
He said the other three apartments in the building, as well as the pawn shop, suffered minor water damage. Once that is cleaned up, he said the tenants and employees will be allowed to return. The residents of the apartment that caught fire, however, will have to find some other place to live.
Poulin said the fire had the potential to be disastrous, given the location of the building in the heavily congested West Side neighborhood. However, he credited the early 911 call and four firefighters being on duty at the Amory Street station when the fire was reported.
He said the fourth man made the difference for firefighters in getting the hoses up three flights of stairs. Oftentimes, he said, the station is staffed with only three firefighters.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate