Occupy Manchester group ousted from park makes case before New Hampshire Supreme Ccourt
Assistant Attorney General Lisa L. Wolford said the protesters didn't need to camp overnight in Veterans Park to get their message across, that they could have accomplished it during the 16 hours the park is open to the public.
Justice Carol Ann Conboy questioned how they were to convey the message that they were 24/7 and provide housing to the homeless "if you made them go away."
Vogelman said it wasn't. He explained that the protesters consisted of a disparate group which included members of the Tea Party, Free Staters, anarchists and veterans, all of whom showed they could live together in a democratic community.
Conboy pointed out the first two nights of the protest, the occupiers were undisturbed by police. Vogelman said she was correct and added that he did not know why Mayor Ted Gatsas and aldermen later had them arrested.
Hicks wanted to know if the protestors believed their actions were legal, why did they stop?
Three convicted of criminal trespass appealed their case to Hillsborough County Superior Court where they were convicted again. In that case, Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Charlene Dulac told jurors if they didn't find the defendants guilty, it would lead to the parks becoming centers for overnight drinking, drugging and camping, with violence likely.
"I think it went really well," she said afterward.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 3
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 4
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 1
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 2
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 3
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright