Navy: Anyone want keys to the Castle at Portsmouth shipyard?
“The Navy seeks to competitively select a developer to lease the premises,” the Navy announced. “The developer selected by the Navy will develop, operate and maintain a facility compatible with shipyard operations.”
The multi-story, reinforced concrete structure could be costly to repair. The floors are buckled, pipes are broken and wires dangle inside the building. A developer would have to remove the asbestos, lead paint and deal with any other environmental issues.
“The developer shall be fully responsible for the entire premises, including, but not limited to, ensuring the structural stability of Building 93 in its entirety, the removal, disposal and remediation of all hazardous materials present in and/or on the premises,” the announcement states.
The former prison was featured in “The Last Detail” with Jack Nicholson, who portrayed a Marine Corps “chaser” who would be condemned to serve out a prisoner’s sentence if he allowed him to escape.
READER COMMENTS: 20
- House Rules Committee rejects majority leader vote, OKs letting lawmakers carry guns - 0
- Majority leader sees GOP rift healing after Jan. 7 - 11
- Official House GOP caucus begins setting goals - 0
- Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice - 30
- Jasper censure cites 'breach of trust' - 0
- Starting Jan. 1, NH elderly and disabled have more protection - 0
- GOP committee: Censure Speaker for Dems' help in winning post - 38
- Drone legislation again to get NH House attention - 0
- Funding to Planned Parenthood jumps three-fold in two years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 2
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 4
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings